Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Baby Steps



I thought baby steps referred to the small steps a child takes as she learns to walk. Sure, it does mean that. But as I watch my two young girls grow up, each day I am blessed with another type of baby step. Just this week, Morgan was able to make it through the day in "Big Girl Panties!" Being the independant type, she immediately pushes us out of the door and wants zero help. She even prefers to dump her potty chair into the big potty. Some times she is spot on, other times... well..... she is only two!

There is a fine line between the pride we experience as she reaches a milestone and the tinge of sadness we feel because 0ur little baby is stepping one more step away from the complete dependance she once had.



And then there is Brooke, the big sister. She recently celebrated her fourth birthday. She has been walking, running, skipping, galloping, and prancing for quite some time now. One would think baby steps are a thing of the past. But, baby steps come in all forms. Who would have thought that part of me would giggle inside when she rolled her eyes at me and exclaimed, "Oh, Brother!"? Yet, there was that inside chuckle. Sure, I responded with the proper correction and didn't let on that I was cracking up inside. So, attitude is not something that magically appears at age 12! Just another baby step.... I am sure I will come to appreciate this one less and less.

0 comments: