Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sisters

I was blessed with three female siblings. This basically means that I grew up with four mothers. I vividly recall the times I was pinned to the ground with all my limbs flailing, bellowing for mercy as one or more of my sisters attempted to make a point. Usually this "point" involved a favorite toy, sweater, CD, or hair product. And, judging by the number times this scene replayed itself over and over again at our house, we were all slow learners.


Fast forward 20 some years......




The pictures here capture the sweet moments between the two little sisters I am now raising. The way Morgan wants to be just like Brooke, the way Brooke shines with pride when Morgan repeats her words, are both apparent in the black and white pictures that we will eventually hang on our wall or paste in our scrapbooks. These pictures remind me of the fact that lately, each night Morgan demands a kiss from "Bookie" (i.e. Brooke - for those that haven't mastered Morgan-speak) before she will go to bed. They remind me of the times when Brooke greets Morgan with a hug and a squeal as we pick them up at daycare.





When I look at these pictures, I sometimes think - who are these children? The girls I know are usually poking each other, pinching each other, pulling each other. Morgan gets red in the face with anger when a toy is snatched out of her hand by Brooke. Brooke huffs and whines when Morgan knocks over her Lego tower. Morgan levels Brooke with one mighty swipe and proceeds to sit on her belly - Brooke's limbs flailing. One of them usually ends up begging for mercy, or for mom to rescue her.



A wise woman once said, "Any mother that
claims her kids never fight either has sick kids or she is a liar."
The same woman also said (while speaking to me and my sisters), "Someday girls, I hope you have daughters and they act and fight just like you four do!" Well, Mom, I don't think my girls will disappoint you!

This is why we hang pictures like those above on our walls and in our scrapbooks. Without constant reminders of the the sweetness, love, and tender moments that DO happen between siblings, we, the parents, might consider being more like the polar bears and lions and eat our young.


Lucky for me, my mom also hung our Kodak moments on the walls. After raising four daughters, she has maintained most of her sanity. Perhaps even more lucky for me, I still have four moms to turn to when I need them.

1 comment: